The main event for UFC 215 featuring UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg has been cancelled. First reported by MMAFighting.com, Borg had been suffering from illness on the lead up to the fight and deemed unfit to compete by UFC doctors.
According to his nutritionist, the illness was not weight related. “Ray has been getting progressively more sick each day this week and still wanted to fight so badly that he put on a game face and went to all of his fight week obligations,” Dr Michelle told MMAFighting.com. “However, prior to beginning the bulk of his weight cut the UFC doctor examined Borg and concluded that he was too ill to fight this week and needed time to rest and get better,” he said.
Unfortunately for Demetrious Johnson he will be unable to attempt breaking the record for most title defences, he currently ties with Anderson Silva at ten straight title defences aiming for eleven this Saturday.
The event will now continue with UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes taking on Valentina Shevchenko, a main event that was also previously cancelled at UFC 213 due to Nunes falling ill.
The UFC have issued the following statement,
Due to a viral illness to UFC flyweight contender Ray Borg, the main event bout against champion Demetrious Johnson at UFC 215 has been cancelled. Borg was deemed unfit to compete by the UFC medical team.
UFC 215, which is now headlined by the women’s bantamweight championship between Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko, will proceed as scheduled with 11 bouts at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Canada. Moving to the Pay-Per-View main card will be the flyweight bout between Henry Cejudo and Wilson Reis. Additionally, the Mitch Clarke and Alex White lightweight contest will now kick off the FS1 prelims.
With the removal of Johnson vs. Borg, customers may request a full refund of purchased tickets at point of sale.
Photo courtesy of Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC.